Sunday, February 21 at Journey
It was a bit of a rocky road getting to Sunday morning this week. With our musicians small in number, when any one of them are gone, it can make a significant impact. I had already scheduled our usual drummer off this week and had our backup drummer scheduled, but found out in the middle of the week that our bass player and one of our guitar players would be gone also. Add to that the fact that our other guitar player has been out of commission since Christmas and it was suddenly looking like we were going to have a real skeleton crew! After some unsuccessful attempts to round-up another instrumentalists to join us, our bass player became available again. We ended up having a pretty typical week, minus guitars. Hopefully we can raise up some new players to help fill the holes!
- Your Name is Holy, Brian Doerksen (A): Good one that Journey knows well and a strong start to the service.
- We Are Hungry, Jeff Deyo’s Version (A): We did an abbreviated version of this song this week because of time – with a Baptism AND Communion this week (Two things we don’t allow to happen in the same service, but had to make a special exception this week), it could easily get out of hand.
- Glory, Reuben Morgan (E): A nice and relatively simple song to bring us from the baptism into the message.
- The Message: Bob focused on the connection between baptism and communion and managed to knock it out of the park AND keep the whole service under an hour and 20 minutes – quite a feat in and of itself!
- Lead Me to the Cross, Brooke Fraser (D): The first time we’ve done this one at Journey. It’s a nice song and the team did it very well. I think this is one that we’ll use frequently.
- How Great is Our God, Chris Tomlin (C): A great one that we haven’t used much lately, but it’s always nice to pull an old one off the shelf, dust it off and make it shine again. Communion wrapped up just before we got to the final choruses and with the whole congregation standing and singing, it was truly powerful.
- Offering & Prayers
- Awesome is the Lord, Chris Tomlin (G): A nice upbeat one to send them out on.
This is part of the Sunday Setlist Blog Carnival found at TheWorshipCommunity.com. You can see what other churches did here.
Were you at Journey this week? I’d love to hear your feedback!