This week, I unexpectedly found myself scrambling to find musicians for the worship team. Our guitar player and bass player informed me in the middle of the week that they would both be unable to play this weekend. For those who may not know, this is a big problem since we’ve only got one bass player and one guitar player (right now – our second guitar player is out of commission right now, but will be back soon). While I’m currently still looking for people to fill those roles for Sunday (otherwise it will be piano and drums – it’ll work be it could be so much better with more instruments!) it reminds me that we need to grow our worship team.
The goal all along has been to have enough vocalists and instrumentalists to be able to rotate them so everyone doesn’t have to play every week. Vocals have been easy to do that with and we’ve been doing the rotation thing since nearly the beginning. Instrumentalists, on the other hand, have been more of a challenge.
If you or someone you know would be a good addition to the worship team, let me know (email@example.com). We’re looking for:
- Vocalists, especially if you’re a good lead singer or are comfortable leading a prayer or talking in front of an audience (although if you’re not, that’s ok too)
- Guitar – Acoustic or Electric
- Drums – We use a fully acoustic set now – no more bionic drums like we used to.
- Keyboards/Piano – Typically we use chord charts instead of sheet music, but if you’re not comfortable with chord charts we can still use you!
What’s it like on the worship team?
- We rehearse on Tuesday evenings from 7:00-9:00 p.m.
- We use a website called Planning Center Online. It allows us to distribute music, schedule individuals and generally organize the team and everything it takes to make Sunday happen.
- We’re all committed to helping the team and each other be the best we can be. We try to all come prepared to rehearsal, but we’re also not afraid to take the time at rehearsal to work through difficult sections, clean up transitions and make our sound as good as we can.
- We’re not rock stars, but we have a passion for what we do and we do it with all of our hearts.
If you or someone you know is interested in being a part of an incredibly fun and rewarding team, check out our application and get involved!