Last night, I was at Journey’s Core Leadership Team’s Christmas party when the someone brought up that they had the best version of “O Holy Night” and proceeded to play it for the rest of us to vote on. It was Sandy Patty’s version of “O Holy Night,” a good one, but it was voted down by a few of us at the party. We started talking about who really had the best version (and O Holy Night is my favorite Christmas song).
So I’ve been thinking about who has the best versions of different Christmas songs. Here, in no particular order are my favorites (and I couldn’t just pick one version for each song)
- O Holy Night – Celine Dion, Mariah Carey
- Silent Night – Third Day, House of Heroes
- All I Want for Christmas – The Merry Mix-mas remixed version
- Little Drummer Boy – Bing Crosby and David Bowie
- 12 Days of Christmas – Straight No Chaser
- God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen – Barenaked Ladies
And while we’re at it, some of my favorite Christmas CDs:
- Trans Siberian Orchestra – Christmas Eve and Other Stories
- Mariah Carey – Merry Christmas
- The Tractors – Have Yourself a Tractors Christmas
- Mannheim Steamroller – Fresh Aire Christmas
- Barenaked Ladies – Barenaked for the Holidays
- And quite possibly the best Christmas CD ever, Vince Guaraldi’s A Charlie Brown Christmas
What other must-play Christmas songs or albums did I miss?